We are concerned with the theoretical foundations of the Cognitive Sciences and investigate central phenomena in the Philosophy of Mind. A comprehenseive theory of mental phenomena calls for an interdisciplinary approach, where the bottom-up methods of the empirical neurosciences are integrated with the top-down approaches and conceptual concerns of Philosophy of Mind. Concrete projects concern
- Consciousness, attention and accessibility;
- Sensorimotor and cognitive intentionality;
- The nature, scope and functions of the imagination;
- Second-person approaches to understanding other minds;
- Metacognition in humans and non-human primates.
Inaddition to the relevant brain functions, these phenomena demand that we also consider the empodied sensorimotor or dynamics of the whole experiencing organism embedded in its natural environment.