In order for our website to be in full accordance with European law, we are currently in the process of ensuring we have right of use before publishing personal information of any kind. Information on our staff, CIN and board membership etc. will until further notice only include those personnel who have granted us explicit right of use.
Field of Research
To be female or male is one of the most important biological determinants of life with critical consequences on many aspects, most importantly our health. This interaction between gender, (endogenous and synthetic) sex hormones and health regarding socio-emotional competencies is the main focus of the research group. We particularly are interested in how different competencies ranging from basic emotional abilities to empathy, stress and motivation are influenced by these factors. Many patients suffering from mental disorders (e.g., schizophrenia, depression, bipolar, etc.) show severe deficits in socio-emotional competencies. Here a lot less is known about the interaction of gender, sex hormone concentration and symptomatology. Besides behavioural performance, subjective ratings and psychophysiological responses we are particularly interested in brain function. There we not only investigate functional activation (mainly by using fMRI) but also look at connectivity patterns (mainly by using resting-state fMRI) and multisensory imaging (e.g., olfactory + visual stimulation).
- Derntl, B.*, Michel, T.M.*, Prempeh, P., Backes, V., Finkelmeyer, A., Schneider, F. & Habel, U. (2015). Empathy in persons clinically at risk for psychosis: brain and behaviour. British Journal of Psychiatry, 207, 407-13.
- Kogler, L., Müller, V.I., Chang, A., Eickhoff, S.B., Fox, P.T., Gur, R.C. & Derntl, B. (2015). Psychosocial versus physiological stress – meta-analyses on deactivations and activations of the neural correlates of stress reactions. Neuroimage, 119, 235-51.
- Kogler, L., Gur, R.C. & Derntl, B. (2015). Sex differences in cognitive regulation of psychosocial achievement stress: brain and behavior. Human Brain Mapping, 36, 1028-42.
- Seidel, E.M., Silani, G., Metzler, H., Thaler, H., Lamm, C., Gur, R.C., Kryspin-Exner, I., Habel, U. & Derntl, B. (2013). The impact of social exclusion vs. inclusion on subjective and hormonal reactions in females and males. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 38 (12), 2925-2932.
- Derntl, B., Schöpf, V., Kollndorfer, K. & Lanzenberger, R. (2013). Menstrual cycle phase and duration of oral contraception affect olfactory perception. Chemical Senses, 38, 67-75.
- Derntl, B. & Habel, U. (2011). Deficits in social cognition: a marker for psychiatric disorders? European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, 261, 145-149.