Field of Research
• Signalling pathways during early germ layer and neuroectoderm commitment
• Development and cell fate determination in neuronal sensory organs
• These models include mutations/deletions involved in transcription initiation and regulation, synaptogenesis and synaptic plasticity or factors involved in the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases with as-yet unknown functions.
Cell Harvesting and Culture:
⁃ Generation and culture of human plucked hair derived keratinocytes
⁃ Generation and culture of several primary neuron subtypes (dopaminergic, glutamatergic, GABA-ergic) from murine CNS tissue (E14.5-E19)
⁃ Generation and culture of primary muscle cells from Mouse and Rat
⁃ Culture and differentiation of human muscle cells from biopsy material
⁃ Various cell lines (HEK, COS, NIH, SHSY5Y, human and murine Fibroblasts….)
⁃ Magnetic cell sorting, Living cell sorting by FACS, cell selection by Antibiotics, Reporter genes etc.
⁃ Generation (reprogramming), culture and differentiation (cells from all 3 germ layers, e.g. neurons, glia, cardiomyocytes, cardiac pacemaker cells, myotubes, exocrine and endocrine pancreas, liver etc.) of human and murine induced pluripotent stem cells
Molecular Biology and Protein biochemistry:
⁃ RNA analyses and interpretation, including real-time one-step RT-PCR, analyses of whole genome RNA arrays.
⁃ Plasmid cloning and expression in cell systems, site-directed mutagenesis, virus production
⁃ FACS, ELISA, Western Blotting, Immune-precipitation, other common methods
⁃ Immunocytochemistry (cells, whole mount), immunohistochemistry, InSitu-Hybridization
⁃ Fluorescence microscopy (Apotome, Live-Cell, Confocal, 2-Photon)
⁃ Electron Microscopy (SEM, TEM, Immuno-electron microscopy)
- Weidgang CE, Russell R, Tata PR, Kühl SJ, Illing A, Müller M, Lin Q, Brunner C, Boeckers TM, Bauer K, Kartikasari AER, Guo Y, Radenz M, Bernemann C, Weiß M, Seufferlein T, Zenke M, Iacovino M, Kyba M, Schöler HR, Kühl M, Liebau S and Kleger A*. TBX3 Directs Cell-Fate Decision toward Mesendoderm. Stem Cell Reports. 2013.
- Linta L, Stockmann M, Böckers A, Storch A, Lin Q, Böckers T, Kleger A, Liebau S. Rat embryonic fibroblasts improve reprogramming of human keratinocytes into hips cells. Stem cells and Development. 2012;21:965-976.
- Kleger A, Mahaddalkar P, Katz SF, Lechel A, Ju JY, Loya K, Lin Q, Hartmann D, Liebau S, Kraus J, Cantz T, Kestler HA, Zaehres H, Schöler H, Rudolph KL. Increased Reprogramming Capacity of Mouse Liver Progenitor Cells, Compared with Differentiated Liver Cells, Requires the BAF Complex. Gastroenterology. 2012;142:907-917.
- Stockmann M, Linta L, Fohr KJ, Boeckers A, Ludolph AC, Kuh GF, Udvardi PT, Proepper C, Storch A, Kleger A, Liebau S*, Boeckers TM*. Developmental and functional nature of human ipsc derived motoneurons. Stem Cell Rev. 2011.
- Kleger A, Seufferlein T, Malan D, Tischendorf M, Storch A, Wolheim A, Latz S, Protze S, Porzner M, Proepper C, Brunner C, Katz SF, Varma Pusapati G, Bullinger L, Franz WM, Koehntop R, Giehl K, Spyrantis A, Wittekindt O, Lin Q, Zenke M, Fleischmann BK, Wartenberg M, Wobus AM, Boeckers TM, Liebau S. Modulation of calcium-activated potassium channels induces cardiogenesis of pluripotent stem cells and enrichment of pacemaker-like cells. Circulation 2010;122(18):1823-36